Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Now That We Have The 2nd Pick

What happens next?

That's probably a good question. No doubt I wasn't the only one relieved as hell to see the Timberwolves' logo on the 3rd envelope. That meant we had assured ourselves of either Beasley or Rose. The problem is that I'm not entirely sure Beasley is our guy and the Bulls present a threat to take Rose.

I personally like the idea of picking 2nd. You take whichever guy is left over and call it a day. No 2nd guessing down the road if the player you missed out on ends up being a superstar or wins a title. I would be ecstatic to have either player. My preference is Rose to team up with Wade in the backcourt, but that's up to Chicago now.

I would hope the Bulls know better than to pick the hometown guy in Rose. They have 2 or 3 solid point guards, and a whole lot of money tied up into that position. They also have no frontcourt scoring ability, so Beasley presents a very enticing option. I don't see why they wouldn't just draft Michael. However, there are rumblings that they like Rose and might end up taking him.

I would be fine with that, if we were to take Beasley that is. I've read rumors that Miami is less than enamored with Beasley and would lean towards trading the pick if it isn't Rose. That scares the hell out of me, to be honest. Only once a decade or so do you get a gift like this. Unless we get a proven, relatively young All-Star and a good backup or two in the trade, then we seriously need to just take Beasley. Figure out what to do with Haslem or Marion later.

I will be very pissed if we trade the pick instead of taking Beasley. I'm tired of Riley's anti-youth personnel decision-making. And speaking of Marion, apparently he is looking to opt out, according to ESPN. So that puts us in a position where drafting Beasley would be a no-brainer. Regardless, I'm a little antsy about the whole thing because it's no longer assured we will get Derrick Rose. I don't want a situation where we pass on a can't-miss prospect in favor of some retreads and cap space. Maybe picking 2nd isn't so great after all. Had we just gotten that first pick it would have been Rose all the way.

2 comments:

The Bull Gator said...

Who are the Bulls proven point guards? Kirk Hinrich? He took a major step back this past season and seems to have lost a lot of confidence in his game, to the point that the Bulls are considering shipping him out regardless of who they take. Or Chris Duhon? Who shoots under 40%.

In the end, I think the Bulls do take Beasley. Mostly because Tyus Thomas and Drew Gooden are easier to trade than Hinrich based on their contracts. But after the way Rose played in the tournament and after watching the Bulls point guards create for no one this season, taking him wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Plus, it's the NBA. Hinrich has a big contract, but there are at least 10 teams stupid enough to give up something good to get him.

Anonymous said...

I would love for the heat to take Hinrich... He has a horrendous contract, but if somehow the heat and the bulls work it something out... why not? I'd take Hinrich and draft Beasley any day... Now if that ever happens is a different story. We need a point guard for sure next season. If we do not in fact draft Rose, We have to go after a guy like andre miller (I think he's a free agent) because we need some one to bring down the ball who will have a good assist to turnover ratio