Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Steroid Mess

I've tried for the most part to keep away from national issues on this blog. You guys already have more than enough talking heads telling you what to think, and it's easier to focus solely on stuff that affects South Florida directly.

However, it's impossible to ignore the gravity of the Congressional hearings on the Clemens-McNamee Saga. It's easily the biggest story in sports.

My take? I honestly could not care less. I respect baseball purists' desire to keep the game clean and the stats legitimate. There's something to be said about having records to break, knowing that those records were achieved fairly. But times change and records really don't have the meanings they once did.

If someone were to have hit in 57 straight games 30 years ago, it would be the headline of every newspaper in the country. Now, it would probably still be on page 1, but I get the feeling people aren't as impressed by broken records as they once were. They are too busy fiddling with their iPhones.

I also respect the opinions of those who feel steroids are setting bad examples for their children. I agree, because a young mind is a very malleable thing. However, it's a parent's job to separate right from wrong, not a baseball player's. Nobody should let TV teach their children. Good parents will sit their young boy down and tell him that cheating is wrong and drugs are bad for you. What these fools on TV do to ruin their lives should not affect the general public.

That leads me to my last point: the general public's best interest is not being served by wasting tax dollars on this stuff. Why is Congress involved? Who cares what a professional entity is doing within it's own walls? If they are breaking their own rules, let them clean it up in house. If they are breaking laws created by the government, then punish them accordingly through the courts. I would hope that Congress has bigger issues to deal with. Like the deficit maybe? Education anyone? Bringing our troops back home safely?

All this hoopla is just a colossal waste of time and it annoys me to no end that I flip on the TV and I see it all over the place. Everyone knows Roger Clemens is a liar by now. The evidence is stacked against him pretty high. He should just give up and spare us the drama. His reputation is beyond repair now, so what's the point of all this? Go home to your family and stay off my TV screen.

No comments: