Friday, February 29, 2008

McCown is a Dolphin

Now this move I'm not entirely sure about. Heck, I would have gone with Cote (and I never go with Cote) and taken David Carr at a minimum contract if you wanted a backup QB. Josh McCown isn't a great player, but he is good enough that the Dolphins front office might have the option of starting him. Rather, he isn't so bad that he deserves to be stashed on the bench for eternity even if Beck struggles.

That isn't a good thing. I want to see John Beck out there, and I don't want the team to panic and send McCown in there because Beck isn't doing well and because Josh isn't entirely inept. I wanted either a rookie QB to be the backup and compete, or just sign a completely useless guy that won't create a QB controversy. We can't waste more time having our draft picks sitting on the bench.

If we see McCown as the starter in Week 1, then you can throw your NFL schedules in the garbage and expect another 4 win season at best. He might be an average backup (though making 3 mil a year is pretty nice for a backup), but I don't want him anywhere near the field when the games start to count.

No comments: