Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fins Interested in Rogers

A month ago I wrote suggesting the Dolphins take a look at unwanted DT/NT Shaun Rogers of the Detroit Lions. Apparently, somebody in the front office agrees with me.

The Dolphins are actively interested in trading for the troubled DT to fill that gaping hole in their roster. However, I am not in favor of what the Lions are asking for. They want a 2nd round pick, or a 3rd and a veteran player.

This team is not in the position to be trading picks away unless they are getting superstars in return. I'd trade a 2nd for Chad Johnson, but not for Shaun Rogers. Shaun is a very good player, but only when he wants to be. His character issues raise a red flag as well, so I'm not entirely sure their asking price is fair.

What we could do is potentially trade a veteran for him straight up. I wonder if they would be interested in Jason Taylor or Joey Porter. Particularly the former. I would rather send him to a legitimate contender, but a Taylor for Rogers trade is about as far as I'd ever go to get Rogers. It would hurt to lose JT, but he should leave anyway and go as far away from this mess as he can.

Another thing that should hurt the Lions is the fact they have no leverage. Marcus Stroud of the Jaguars is also for sale, as is Panthers DT Kris Jenkins. Both are very good players at their position, and I don't see any drop off in talent when comparing them to Rogers. Jenkins may be a bit past his prime, but Stroud certainly would be a force on this defense.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

apparently bill parcells is reading your blogs.

Aldo Quintanilla said...

As well he should be. lol

Anonymous said...

I think Donte Stallworth would be a good pick up in free agency. We need a W/R and we would give up next to nothing for him... I know he wouldn't ask for much seeing as he had a bad year last year.