Thursday, December 27, 2007

Kirby Freeman to Transfer

Earlier this week I had read up on rumors about Kirby Freeman transferring to Baylor. However, there are so many rumors floating about at any given time, I wanted to wait for confirmation before voicing my opinion on it. Well, now it's official.

The man who tattooed a U on his neck and showed some of the guttiest performances of any player on this current roster is on his way out. Obviously the job has been handed to Robert Marve, unless a true freshman wows the staff and takes it from him.

Freeman disappointed everyone with his consistently bad performances. Despite his best efforts, Kirby really never seemed to be able to produce at a Division I-A level. That being said, I wish him the best. I'll be honest and say I have booed and cursed him many times, sometimes in person. His play was frustrating, arriving at an all time low in that 1 for 13 performance versus NC State. However, Kirby deserved a little better from all of us. He was a true Cane at heart.

Despite not really being a great quarterback at the U, Kirby never looked like he had given up on himself or the team, and that's pretty much all I can ask for from our players. The same can't be said for many kids who have put on that helmet in the last few seasons, though I won't name names. It's a shame that he had to transfer out, but it is probably for the best. He can earn a chance to play elsewhere, and Miami can use his scholarship to give to another player that can contribute. God knows we need as much new blood as possible.

Thankfully, my lasting image of Kirby Freeman won't have to be those mind-boggling interceptions or crushing defeats. Nearly everyone who watched him play will remember him coming in for an injured Kyle Wright down a score late in the 4th quarter at Tallahassee. They'll remember him firing that pass into the corner of the endzone for a touchdown, knowing full well he was about to get crunched between two Seminole defenders. Thanks for the memories, Kirby.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I got to say is....it's about time. Though I will give him the FSU game. Well no more Outback for Kirby.