Thursday, December 13, 2007

Marlins Stadium Saga

To continue with the recent line of depressing baseball news, the Marlins are approaching a deal that might finally get them a stadium in Miami. Rather than paying a small portion of their final 155 million dollar contribution up front, now they would be required to pay it in full and cover all cost overruns. The plan is for the stadium to open at the Orange Bowl site by 2010.

The idea of giving the Marlins a dime after their recent fire sale disgusts me. As a taxpayer, I don't want any of my money going towards a failing franchise that milks every cent it can out of shared revenue profit. All that money is basically coming from the Yankees since NOBODY goes to Marlins games, and frankly nobody will. I don't care how nice the stadium is, I won't tolerate the hassle to get to the OB site for a minor league baseball team. The Hurricanes had a long standing following and only had 5 or 6 home games a year and even then drew 20k for the typical game. Does anyone really see people traveling to Little Havana 81 times a year to see this pitiful excuse for a major league team? I don't.

Lastly, I refuse to watch the Marlins in the wake of their recent trade, but I'll be damned if I ever attend a game at the Orange Bowl site with the current ownership in charge. My precious OB is to be demolished for this sorry excuse for a franchise? That's just rubbing salt into the wound. No thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually you won't be paying for it with YOUR tax dollars, but from Tourist Tax dollars. They are paying for it.

Aldo Quintanilla said...

That may be the case. However, those tax dollars could be used for something more useful. The end result will be a half empty Marlins stadium when it is finally completed.