Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Favre to Miami?

Now, let me begin by saying there is absolutely nothing substantial to this rumor. As far as I know, or anyone else knows, Brett Favre retired today from the Packers and intends to stay retired. However, some rumors are floating about that Favre felt he had another year in him and that the Packers did not want him back.

I wouldn't doubt the former being the case, as Favre will think he is still good to play until his arm falls off. But I'm not so sure the Packers would chase him out. Then again, Dave Wannstedt did drive off Dan Marino.

These same rumors have suggested Favre is willing to play elsewhere if need be, and Miami is one of those potential destinations. The situation is a little complex, because I haven't seen anything suggesting that move in clear terms. PFT vaguely mentions the possibility, but I haven't seen any other reference of former Packers GM Ron Wolf advising Bill Parcells to take a chance on Favre. I think we need a little more time to clear up this situation.

Since this sort of thing calls for unnecessary speculation and opinions, I'll throw in my two cents. If we can rent Favre without having to trade anything, then do it. This team is bad, but another top 5 pick won't help our cap situation (this isn't basketball, where tanking is always a good thing). Plus, a veteran QB will instantly make any of our receivers better. Favre would be reunited with David Martin and maybe get some use out of the tight end. Our line would look good with Jake Long and Justin Smiley as new additions. And John Beck would have a great mentor to help show him the ropes and ease his way into the starting job.

I've never been a fan of Favre myself. I felt he should have retired years ago and that he returned solely to break Marino's records. He's done that and now he wants out. However, last season he proved that he's still playing at a high level and that he can be valuable to a football team. At the worst, we can trade a 6th or 7th round pick to Green Bay just to have that leadership that could potentially rub off on John Beck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

donald martin????? you're killing me man...