Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dolphins Draft Merling

 Well, there was no real suspense with our 1st pick. We've known its been Jake Long for a while now. It was still good to see him out there and officially get drafted though. However, as the picks went by, things got very interesting for the Dolphins and the #32 overall pick.


I advocated drafting Lawrence Jackson, but unfortunately he got picked up by Seattle just before our pick. I was then rooting for Quentin Groves, but I guess the front office felt there was more value in drafting Phillip Merling out of Clemson. I was still right about going after a DE, but frankly, I don't know a damn thing about Merling.

Scouts had him rated as a mid 1st round selection, so it is surprising that 1) I had no idea who he is and 2) we still had the opportunity to draft him. If they have faith in the guy, then I'm happy with the pick. We needed that position and got it. All that remains is to see if he is any good.

I was quite relieved to see that we didn't trade up for Joe Flacco and that we didn't reach for Chad Henne. Word was that we were in love with the Michigan QB, so as we were making the pick I was pretty nervous. I saw plenty of Henne in college and I don't think he is the answer. If they pick him up with the 57th pick, I guess it wouldn't be so bad, but I prefer us going after a CB instead. 

No comments: