Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Marlins Win First of the Season

You can thank Pedro Martinez's strained hamstring for tonight's victory, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get. This team isn't making the playoffs, but it's not like the NFL or NBA where you might want your team to tank the season in hopes of getting a better pick. The baseball draft is such a crapshoot that I prefer the Marlins just win their games rather than hope for a Top 5 selection. What I want is moot really, seeing as how they will probably have a top pick anyhow, but whatever.

In any case, it was nice to see the young guys pull out a win against the NL favorites to go to the World Series. The Marlins won on a 10th inning walk-off HR by 3rd baseman Robert Andino, his first career home run. I was actually expecting Andino to be a major factor at 3rd base this season with Miguel Cabrera gone. I had heard he was a top prospect a couple of years ago and just assumed the Marlins would move Cabrera to 1st and eventually bring Andino up. I'm not sure how he lost the job to Jorge Cantu (a terrible defensive player), but then again I don't know everything about our farm system.

I'm happy that the bullpen managed to hold the tough Mets lineup under control long enough to let the Marlins pull off the victory. That was certainly unexpected. Now we can expect to see Andrew Miller's Marlins debut tomorrow against Oliver Perez.

No comments: