Thursday, April 24, 2008

Don't Pick Flacco

Word is that the Dolphins are trying to trade JT for a mid-late first round pick to go after either Derrick Harvey, Quentin Groves or Joe Flacco. Groves should be available at the #32 pick but I wouldn't mind selecting him earlier. I'm no fan of Harvey due to him being a Gator, but he has value in the mid-first round. However, I would be seriously pissed if we drafted Joe Flacco.

Some sportswriters have advocated selecting him in the 2nd. Specifically those at the Sun-Sentinel. They are entitled to their opinion, but I'm having a problem with Flacco being a potential selection. He has got a cannon arm, that's for sure. And he's got all the confidence in the world. However, he might have the wrong kind of confidence. We saw a guy with all the physical tools coming out of Washington State a few years ago. He got cocky and ended up failing miserably. I think his name was Ryan Leaf.

I don't want Flacco. I've heard bad things about his interviews at the combine and don't want any part of a prima donna QB. I also don't like the fact he comes from such a small school. Granted, there have been plenty of great QBs from these schools. Most recently you've got Tony Romo from a small Illinois school. But Flacco originally committed to Pittsburgh and ended up transferring after he couldn't get the starting job there. First off, it shows lack of dedication in being able to compete for the starting job. That's making the assumption of course, that he was ever given the chance. If he wasn't, then I apologize.

But more importantly, if you are such a great QB, what are you doing not being able to start at Pittsburgh? It's Wanny for God's sake. If he could have unearthed some more eligibility out of Jay Fiedler, he would have. How can you not be a good enough QB for Dave Wannstedt if you claim to be a 1st round pick? Something is just fishy with that whole deal.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of any of the QBs coming out of this class. Henne is inconsistent, Brohm played in a funky offense, Ryan is terrible, Flacco is an ass, and Booty had all the talent around him and still didn't perform at a super high level. Then again, I always hate every QB in every class. It's been years since I've said any rookie QB would turn out to be any good so what do I know.

No comments: