Thursday, January 10, 2008

Doc Holliday to WVU

Earlier I mentioned the possibility of Florida losing assistant head coach Doc Holliday to West Virginia and the head coaching vacancy there. That didn't pan out exactly, but Holliday is still on his way to Morgantown for a new contract worth 2 million dollars over 5 years.

Holliday is a pretty serious loss for the Gators. That makes the 2nd assistant coach they've lost this week after Stan Drayton went to Tennessee. Both are known to be good recruiters. Holliday is infamous among Canes fans for being the sneaky type, but who isn't when it comes to top end recruits.

For fun, here's what Holliday was like around our guys:

Basically, the story goes that he went to visit Forston and Spence at Northwestern, and here is the results from Manny Navarro at the Herald:

"I spent the day at Miami Northwestern today and saw Florida assistant Doc Holiday, who came in to speak with Marcus Forston and Sean Spence. He had them to himself in Billy Rolle’s office for 10 minutes. When he left, Forston and Spence were giggling. I asked them what he said. Forston’s response was classic: “Snake eyes (Holliday's nickname)? He told me the same bull crap everybody else is trying to tell else. How we can start if we go to their school. How they’re doing so much better than UM. The facilities. Sean Taylor. Safety. The usual crap. I told him the same thing I told Butch Davis and North Carolina, if I can stay clear of trouble in the Pork N Beans projects, why the hell am I going to be scared to live in Coral Gables?”"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love Forston.