Monday, January 14, 2008

Glen Rice and His Arrest

A little late on this one, yes, but I had a very busy weekend and just got around to it now. By now, you may know that Glen Rice was arrested a few days ago for battery of another man.

The man he beat up (I won't say allegedly because Rice did the right thing and surrendered himself to police) was hiding in Rice's estranged wife's closet. You don't need me to suggest as to why the guy was hiding in there.

Something like this is arguably worse than what Tim Hardaway said in his comments about homosexuality last year, yet Tim got ripped by the national media for not being PC. That's not to say I agree with Tim (he's an idiot for that) and that I am against Glen. The reason Glen hasn't been widely criticized (at least to my knowledge) is because what he did, though not a smart decision, was as close to unavoidable as it gets when it comes to arrestable offenses.

I don't know many men who wouldn't be irate if they found their wife's lover in a closet, even if they were separated at the time. An irrational and violent reaction is bound to happen. I'm not defending it, but it is understandable on some level. In comparison, a biased hatred towards a specific group of people is not understandable, nor acceptable almost under any circumstance. That's why I think (though I might just be stating the obvious) that Rice's arrest hasn't really been a big deal in the media.

I would guess that Rice's celebrity and willingness to cooperate with police, in addition to the fact the victim wasn't severely injured, will probably land him some probation instead of prolonged jail time. Hopefully he'll make more sound decisions in the future, but we all wish him the best.

No comments: