Thursday, January 24, 2008

Shaq and Retirement

Today, Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel wrote a story suggesting that Shaq retire because it is in both his and the franchise's best interest to do so.

What was most intriguing about Ira's article was the confirmation he received from the NBA offices that if Shaq were to send in retirement papers today, then next season his salary would be wiped from the books. Presumably if he were to wait until after the season, then only the 2009 salary would be waived.

This possibility got me excited enough to dream of Elton Brand and Luol Deng signings next season and a Heat resurgence. However, it took less than a day for my hopes to be dashed.

In response to several journalists' suggestions to retire, Shaq told Jack Ramsey on ESPN Radio:

"No, never that. I am the son of an army drill sergeant, and when we enlist, we go full term. So I've got two years left on my term, and after that, I'll be looking to do other things."

So much for that idea. I have to say that Shaq's attitude isdeflating as a Miami Heat fan. I love the guy, and I really do wish he was capable of contributing at the level his salary demands, but he just isn't. And things will only get worse from here. Imagine how creaky Shaq's knees will be in the 2009-2010 season.

Unless they get rid of his salary, this team is going to be stuck in the basement for a while. At some point Pat Riley will have to tell Micky Arison that ticket sales and marketing revenues thanks to Shaq's celebrity won't be outweighing the cost of having that dead weight on the books. Since Shaq clearly refuses to accept defeat (an admirable quality, I'll give him that), only Riley can possibly save this franchise from the horrifying prospect of being a last place team the next 3 years and then have its star leave for greener pastures.

No comments: