Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hurricanes Non-Conference Wishlist

Browsing the boards tonight, I came across a Michigan vs Miami thread where fans agreed that such a home-and-home series would be a great thing for both programs. It made me wonder what teams I would like to see the Hurricanes play in their non-conference schedule in the future.

1) Ohio State. Luckily, I'll get my wish in 2010 and 2011. Nothing would make me happier than to annihilate the Luckeyes in the 'Shoe in 2010. I mean absolute destruction, without taking the foot off the gas. I mean first half of the 2002 Rose Bowl bad. I will never get over the robbery in the desert, at least not in part until we win another title. The good thing is that though we suck now, by 2010 Randy Shannon will have us back at the top.

2) USC. The Trojans have become the Miami of the West, thanks to their 2002-2007 run of consistent top 5 finishes. The program mirrors us so much it is scary. Both are private universities in big glamorous towns. Both field the tradition of champions. And when Texas beat them in that classic title game, a team run by a Heisman candidate QB wearing #11 ended its 34 game win streak and bid for a 2nd straight BCS title. I believe that this series has been proposed by our AD, but USC only wanted a one game matchup, in Los Angeles.

3) Notre Dame. I was too young to appreciate just how much Miami fans should hate Notre Dame. Younger fans will be more partial towards hating VT, FSU, UF and Ohio State, but Notre Dame would be a huge game for Miami diehards. Ever since the epic 1988 battle where Miami was robbed of a victory by officials (and Notre Dame eventually won a title, killing our chances of 3 straight from 87-89), Canes fans have had an extra spot reserved for the Golden Domers on their blacklists. Notre Dame has since turned down offers from Miami for a renewal of the rivalry.

4) Florida. We play them next season of course, and supposedly will host them in 2013 (they've been trying to get out of that or make it a "neutral" site in Tampa or Orlando from what I've heard). However, I'd like to make this a yearly event. Sure, it would probably put our win streak in jeopardy, but nothing would be sweeter than topping the Gators and the Noles year in and year out. Won't ever happen because of the difficulty of their SEC schedule.

5) Temple. I'm only half joking too. Man I miss having those cupcake games you knew we'd win by 40.

6) LSU. The defending national champs have tripled their number of titles in the past 5 years and their fans are starting to get cocky. Add a 40-3 destruction of the 'Canes in Atlanta a couple of years ago and LSU finding ways to cherry pick players out of our own backyard, and you've got yourself a potential bloodfeud. Les Miles has a big mouth (though he backs his talk up) and Patrick Johnson might still sign with the Tigers despite his academic troubles. A road trip to the Bayou would be a great experience for any Canes fan who wishes to see Miami romp in what some call the loudest crowd in the country.

7) Texas. They've enjoyed some success this decade, although they would be best known as paper champions were it not for the heroics of Vince Young. I think a matchup between these two teams would be an excellent chance to pit the best from Florida vs the best from Texas.

8) Tennessee. I'm still bitter over their lucky win in 2003 that ended our 26 game home win streak. Tennessee. There was no way that the 2003 Canes, being that talented, should have lost a single game that year, much less against UT. Somehow every ball bounced the Vols way and Brock was, well, Brock.

9) Washington. I still laugh at the crybaby AD complaining about the 65-7 whooping they took back in 2001. They cost us a title in 2000 and our precious 58 game home win streak in '94, so I think there is still some room for revenge.

10) Michigan. They would be a bit higher if not for the Ohio State games giving us a taste of Big Ten football in a few years. We had a couple of classics up in Ann Arbor in the 80s, though I don't believe they have been to Miami yet. The last I heard (though I might be wrong) was that they wished to keep it that way, offering a 2 game series, but both being in the Big House. No thanks.

Feel free to post your suggestions as well.

No comments: