Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Heat Scored More Points Than the Pacers?

What does it mean when you finish with more points than the other team? I honestly can't remember the last time the Heat finished in the W column. But finally the drought has ended and Miami once again is on top of the world. *insert sarcasm*

The Heat topped the Pacers 98-96 at the AAA in a close game that came to the final seconds. While the win was a long time coming, don't think the Heat didn't try to give this one away too. Wade's 2nd three pointer of the game put them up 9 points with 4 minutes and change to go, but again Miami choked away the lead in the closing minutes.

If anything, this win takes a huge monkey off the team's back. I want them to finish as poorly as possible because I'm looking towards the future, but I don't want them to be historically bad. We already flirted with that possibility with the Dolphins this season. I don't need another national story putting the spotlight on just how bad my favorite team is.

As for the game itself, I didn't catch it as I was at the Farewell to the Orange Bowl game (expect a lengthy post on that tonight or tomorrow, complete with photos). But Wade had another excellent performance, dropping 35 points and adding 8 boards while turning it over an acceptable 3 times. However, the key to the victory was that he actually had some help for once.

Dorell had another good game with 14 points and 10 boards, though as I've posted before, don't expect him to repeat that in the next game or two. He needs to work on consistency in his performances. The other key contributor was Mark Blount, who I feel has been an underrated presence all season long.

When we acquired him in the trade for Antoine Walker, I was actually happy because he presents a couple of matchup problems for other teams. After the 2003 season that ended prematurely with a loss to Indiana in the 2nd round, talk was that all this team was missing was a Center. Many were suggesting Blount as the guy to fit that role. Today he produced 19 crucial points that took a lot of pressure off Wade offensively.

Where do the Heat go from here? Who knows. I hope they don't fail miserably the rest of the season, but I think this team desperately needs a Top 3 pick in next year's draft. Tanking wouldn't be the preferred course of action, but I wouldn't blame them for doing it.

1 comment:

Omar Cruz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.