Saturday, January 5, 2008

Recap of Today's Recruiting Events

Technically, I'm supposed to be classy about recruits and where they go. These are young kids making big decisions, so you can't fault them for where they choose to play ball. So wishing them ill is not a mature thing to do. However, certain situations call for criticism of these "kids". I was 18 just a few years ago, and I never would have pulled some of the stunts some of these guys are doing.

I would have been fine with Matt Patchan going to LSU. Everyone has a right to go to a school other than the U. And to be fair, Matt handled his recruitment very well. He refused to string anyone along ala Patrick Johnson. He announced his decision to go to UF and that's fair enough. However, after ripping this team for their disappointing performance versus Virginia, you would think he would have it in him to back it up.

Instead, the Cane legacy chose to play for an established contender in the Gators rather than make his own mark here in Coral Gables. If you are going to call out a team for lack of desire, then do something about it. It was a poor move on his part to say those things and then go north to Gainesville. So I won't be classy about it and wish him luck. I'm sure he'll be fine regardless, but I don't care for our rivals to the north and frankly I hope he and his teammates fail miserably on the field.

Patrick is another situation to get up in arms about. He played us, plain and simple. Today he chose LSU as his final destination, though I wouldn't rule out a last minute bait and switch with him. He lied to everyone about a lot of things, for sport. If you caught the US Army Game today, the announcers told us that Patrick decommitted because coaches stopped talking to him. Don't believe that, because that is only his side of the story.

I wouldn't go out and say that I want him to do poorly. But he is one guy I will root against in college and I eagerly await a potential bowl game where we can stick it to him. What goes around comes around.

Aside from those two big names, there isn't much else. TJ Bryant was supposed to play in the game, but was hurt and doesn't plan to sign until NSD I think. Brandon Harris also plans to sign in February, and played in the Under Armour game.

Several Canes played in these all-star games, including Marcus Forston, Sean Spence, and Aldarius Johnson. The one who impressed me the most was Arthur Brown, who looks like an absolute beast.

Finally, some good news to cap things off. I have a hunch that Corey Liuget, the massive 4 star DE from South Florida, will switch his commitment over to Miami at some point. He is currently slated to sign with Ron Zook at Illinois because he is being pressured by family to go out of state.

However, he has stated his desire to stay at home, and has shown excitement about potentially playing with all the defensive studs we are bringing in. He has canceled his visits to Ohio State and supposedly has narrowed his final decision to 3 schools.

No comments: